Are you a DIY parent? If you are, this post is for you! Inspired by one of my best girlfriends in a conversation we had last night, here are my Top 5 Last Minute Mother’s Day DIY gifts you and your children can make for any mom, aunt, and or grandparent. Mother’s Day is literally right around the corner, less than two weeks away, and there is not much time to buy something online and have it shipped in time. Plus, a customized, personalized, sentimental gift that your children make by hand is very special for any family member. Hopefully I have some dad readers, too – so all of my moms reading this can also benefit from some of these gifts ideas! Ladies, you can always share this blog link with your significant other in case they still need some last minute ideas. Make sure you are following me on Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/parentologist) because I have pinned all of the links below on my Keeping Kids Busy board.
- Mod Podge or Painted Planter – All you need is some Mod Podge Gloss, photos of your children, a foam brush, ribbon, a planter, and a plant or herbs (or seeds to watch something grow). Check out this link for the step by step tutorial: http://modpodgerocksblog.com/2015/03/diy-planter-with-photos-perfect-for-mothers-day.html. If you want to avoid Mod Podge all together, you can simply paint a planter instead!
- Homemade Exfoliating Essential Oil Soap – It’s easy, affordable, and only takes 10 minutes to make! All you need is 6oz of shea butter soap base, 1 ½ teaspoons of chia seeds (for the exfoliation but its optional), 14 drops of any combination of citrus essential oil, and a silicone soap mold. Go to this link for all the information: http://www.paintedteacup.com/2016/04/23/essential-oil-soap/
- Frame with 3 photos – All you need is a frame that can hold three photos and three pieces of paper, and a camera. Each photo has your child or children holding a different handwritten/typed sign (the first can say “I”, the second can say “Love” and the third can say “Mom, Aunt, Nana, or Grandma” OR the first can say “BEST”, the second can say “Mom, Aunt, Nana, or Grandma”, and the third can say “EVER”. You can keep it really simple and have the first photo with a “M”, the second with a “O” and the third with a “M”. You can create your own saying for each photo if you’d like. These are just ideas! Follow this link for an example: http://www.pregnantchicken.com/pregnant-chicken-blog/2014/6/3/best-fathers-day-gifts-for-new-dads#_a5y_p=1766806
- Raspberry and Lemon Sugar Scrub – It takes 5 minutes! All you need is ¼ cup coconut oil (melted), ¾ cup granulated white sugar, 2-4 drops of yellow or red food coloring, and 10-15 drops of lemon, raspberry, or vanilla essential oil, depending on the scent you want. Follow this link for the step by step tutorial: http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/sugar-scrub-recipes/#_a5y_p=3323414
- Decorated Mug – Have a coffee or tea drinker in your family? All you need is a white mug (I suggest one from Dollar Tree), oil-based fine point Sharpies in any color you want, and an oven! This is personal, sentimental, and takes less than 2 hours to bake! Follow this link for all the details: http://www.destinationdecoration.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-sharpie-mugs/
I admire DIY shops and the individuals behind them. I will admit, I am not much of a DIY person. Don’t get me wrong, I WANT to be, but I just don’t have much of a knack for it. DIY takes a level of creativity, patience, and talent that I don’t naturally have. I can get by on a few concentrated projects, but without Pinterest, I wouldn’t have it at all!!
Recently I virtually met Nicole Griffie, the founder and owner of All About That Creation. She makes beautiful, custom hand painted letters and you can find her on Etsy with this link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllAboutThatCreation?ref=search_shop_redirect. She made two letters for our home; one for Haven’s room with a large letter “H” in Rustic Antique and a small hand painted letter “V” (for our last name) for our office bookcase that was custom made to match the color scheme in that room. The best part about her shop besides her amazing talent, is that she can customize your order and can create specific colors and styles for you. All of her creations are themed, which makes it fun. Some of my favorites are the Nautical, Beach, Sports, and Princess themes! Monogramming is also available and ANY length of name is doable.
Each large letter is 9 inches tall and each small letter is 5 inches tall. Each letter comes with a keyhole back for easy hanging. You can choose between 3-5 paint colors for each design. If you want more than 5 colors or any other add on’s like stickers, there is a small, additional charge. You can also add burlap and or lace to your design for an additional charge. Once you place your order, she will send you a rough sketch of your requested design for your approval before she makes it. The letters will ship individually in bubble wrap for safe delivery!
Make sure you are following me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/theparentologist/?hl=en because I have partnered with Nicole for a fantastic giveaway just for you!! Stay tuned tomorrow for all of the details!