As much as I love to peruse the red and pink aisles at Target this time of year, I could personally do without the candles, stuffed animals, flowers, candy, and balloons on Valentine’s Day. I do like hand written cards on holidays, anniversaries and birthdays, but honestly, cards are so expensive these days, that I would be just as happy with a hand written note or handmade drawing on my daughter’s construction paper. Which, reminds me, dads, please do not forget to get a card, bought or handmade, for mom from each of your children!!!!!
Now that you have the card covered, still can’t think of what to get that special lady in your life? You may ask, what do moms really want? Gifts can be hard to shop for, especially if you have been with your significant other for quite some time, and you may feel like you’ve gotten her everything you can think of. Coming up with creative and unique ideas can be challenging and everyone’s budget is a little different, so I came up with my TOP 10 gift ideas that range in price that you haven’t thought of before for moms – including the mom-to-be!
1. Let’s face it, a mom’s car gets dirty pretty quickly when it’s filled with kids’ clothing items, toys, snacks, etc! There are crumbs on the floor, milk stains on the seats from the bottle or sippy cup being thrown unexpectedly, and wrappers, socks, and random stuffed animals scattered about! So, get that mama a detailed car wash from the inside and out! Get that dust off the interior, vacuum those carpets, and shine the exterior for a quick way to her heart!
2. Ask, “how can I help?” This four word question can go a looong way to a mom! If she’s like me, she will want to take care of everything, because she’s almost not sure about how to spend her time if she isn’t doing it all or she may think she will do it better, so she prefers to take care of it herself. Either way, opening the door to a brief stint of relief by asking this question will earn you a lot of brownie points, trust me! She may not actually want the help, but just asking the question is a gift in itself. And, it’s free! It just takes a little effort!
3. What do moms love more than proudly showing the world that she’s a mom by literally wearing it on her person or even twinning with their babes? You could go the sentimental route and get her a locket with her babies’ photos inside with their birthdays engraved, or even get her jewelry with your children’s birthstones, but may I also suggest, getting her a MAMA themed hat that fits her personality and style or a matching set of hats for the whole family (including you dad) from Tiny Trucker Co! There are 100’s of designs to choose from for babies as young as 6 months old to adulthood! She’ll want to wear it for fun and for functionality on those days when doing anything with her hair is her last priority! And you can use DRKIM10 for 10% off your entire hat purchase! Click here to order https://tinytruckerco.com
4. Surprise her by initiating taking care of the kids, doing the dishes or the laundry, or even by cooking a special meal, but don’t expect anything in return. A selfless act of kindness is what she needs to feel loved and appreciated. If you expect her to swoon over all of the work you did that day, it may leave her feeling hurt or resentful that she may do the majority of that work everyday and isn’t recognized for it as much as she should be. Remember, this is a present for her and she should be able to just sit back and enjoy the effort without necessarily making one herself! Even if she doesn’t say anything, she is surely appreciative and grateful!
5. Moms want to take care of their skin but buying skin care products isn’t something she will always think of to buy for herself. So I recommend buying her a bundle of natural skin care products from the Tubby Todd MAMA collection! This bundle comes with 4 essential products to nourish and support her body through every season of motherhood. If she is already a seasoned mama, you can get items a la carte like shampoo and body wash, lotion, bubble bath, and more! To shop the MAMA collection, click here https://tubbytodd.com/collections/mama To shop all products, click here https://tubbytodd.com/collections/all-1
6. A simple yet meaningful present is to help support her self-care. Helping your special mama relax and get pampered will be beneficial for her mental, emotional, physical and spiritual state of mind! Drawing a bath at home will do, but she will benefit more by being out of the house in order to fully relax. So, I recommend a pedicure and or massage! These can range in price and length of time depending on if you send her down the street to a local salon or buy her a day pass to a local spa!
7. Is your special lady a mom-to-be or a new mom? Then may I suggest something for all of you to get a better night’s sleep? My number one baby recommended item that you know will be a great investment for the both of you and your baby’s wellbeing, is a DockATot! I have to say it is the most used and beloved baby item we have used with our son since birth and chances are this item is already on her baby registry or wish list whether she is pregnant, has an infant, or a toddler! Trust me, in addition to our son’s use of the Deluxe dock, our Grand dock has helped us with our daughter, especially when she sneaks into our bed in the middle of the night. Let’s just say she is a restless sleeper and our dock has saved us from lots of kicks, tumbles, and rumbles in the middle of the night! And here’s a tip – sign up for their newsletter and receive $10 off your purchase!! To shop their Deluxe docks for babies 0-8 months or 5-22 pounds click here https://dockatot.com/collections/deluxe-plus To shop their Grand docks for infants and toddlers 9-36 months or 22-40 pounds click here https://dockatot.com/collections/dockatot-grand You can even get the cutest handmade and washable heart shaped cushions from Lorena Canals for mom or toddler to use as a pillow to read books or rest on while in the dock! We have the fuchsia heart and you can buy it here http://lorenacanals.us/washable-cushions/cushion-corazon-fucsia.html
8. Exercise, mindfulness, and clarity will make that special lady in your life feel renewed so she can spend more time focused and dedicated to you! There are many ways to help her achieve wellness in her life, but I find one of the best ways to get multiple benefits in the least amount of time is by practicing yoga. Therefore, I say splurge and get her a yoga membership to a local studio. Even if she just does a one hour class once a week, it will have added benefits for both of you and your children!
9. If you have a Fashionista in your household, what better than to get her matching mommy and me sunglasses from DIFF Eyewear! For every pair of sunglasses purchased they give a pair of glasses to someone in need. Use KIMDIFF for 25% off! To shop all styles click here https://www.diffeyewear.com and to shop the LIL DIFF collection click here https://www.diffeyewear.com/collections/lil-diff
10. Let her sleep in! Luckily for you, moms typically want sleep more than anything and it’s free!!! All you have to do is help orchestrate it! Make sure you are awake to take the kids before they wake up and spend your time outside, downstairs, or as far as possible away from the bedroom until mom awakes! Shut the door but leave a fan on as white noise. Make sure the blinds and or curtains are closed tight and don’t check on her until she wakes up! Bonus points for a hot coffee or breakfast waiting for her when she finally gets out of bed, or better yet, to lazily enjoy in bed!
11. Plan a day date! The date itself doesn’t have to take place on Valentine’s Day itself, but bonus points if you are able to take the day off or get an extended lunch break! If the day itself doesn’t work, you can schedule a few hours over the weekend instead! Sometimes going out in the evening can be more stressful, more expensive, and busier but if you go out during the day, you will have less crowds and lines and cheaper food prices during lunch! Plus the babysitter is more likely to be available during the day this time of year and there isn’t as much pressure to dress up or spend as much money on food, drinks, and entertainment. Go on a hike together, grab brunch, or go see a matinee!